- 1 or 2 bell peppers
- a zucchini or yellow squash
- a red onion
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- handful of mushrooms
- a few generous splashes of red wine herb vinaigrette (below)
- generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
You can add small chunks of chicken, beef, sausage or seafood to your skewers if you choose.
- Cut vegetables (and meat if using) into roughly equal-sized chunks, then arrange as you wish on the skewers. Brush with the vinaigrette and let them marinate for an hour or so. Season with salt and pepper, then grill until vegetables are lightly caramelized and tender.
- If using wooden skewers (I highly recommend long metal ones for BBQ) soak in water for an hour or so.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Half a cup or so of red wine vinegar
- Cupful of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping spoonfuls of Dijon mustard
- several heaping spoonfuls of grated Romano cheese
- a general spoonful of dried oregano
- a general spoonful of dried basil
- a sprinkle or two of salt and pepper.
You can add fresh minced rosemary or thyme or use pecorino or Parmesan cheese instead of Romano. If you’re dairy intolerant, a hard goat or sheep’s cheese works just as well.